Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Playing vs Displaying or both

  1. #1
    Inactive Member lynet44's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2004
    Posts
    187
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    At first, I felt guilty for buying a bunch of AG stuff that I wasn't even playing with. I enjoy just setting it up and displaying it. I tried to force myself to play with the AG dolls and accessories and I get bored.

    I just love setting up scenes and talking to my dolls. I don't make the dolls talk. I just talk to them and they listen to me. I like changing their clothes and brushing their hair. I also like to include my daughter Nicole in my talks with the dolls. But she prefers me to make them talk. She keeps saying "Make her talk, mommy".

    Then I wonder if AG is just a passing fancy. It's like I get so excited to research an item, make the decision to buy it, plan for the purchase, make the purchase and then get it delivered. It's such a thrill to open up the box and look and feel the items that I just got. But once the thrill is over after a few days, I just display it and move on to the next item. Does anybody else feel like that? Isn't this what a lot of kids do when they get new toys? But then I don't want to get rid of anything either, just like a kid. I don't play with it but I don't want to sell it. I just like looking at the stuff and knowing that I have it. Mine....mine.... [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Lynet

  2. #2
    Inactive Member chauster's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's describes me to the "T", except I don't talk to them. Mostly what I do is buy it, get all excited over getting something new, look at it, then I just once in a while play with the hair and change the clothes and then just leave them on display. I do get bored with the same old outfits at times like you said. The real excitement is when I get something new or go to AGPNY knowing that I am getting a new doll.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Felicity Merriman's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2004
    Posts
    131
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Chauster:
    That's describes me to the "T", except I don't talk to them. Mostly what I do is buy it, get all excited over getting something new, look at it, then I just once in a while play with the hair and change the clothes and then just leave them on display. I do get bored with the same old outfits at times like you said. The real excitement is when I get something new or go to AGPNY knowing that I am getting a new doll.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do the same exact thing; I mostly just change thier outfits, brush thier hair, and display them. I do always have one propped up by me when im on the computer (I actually have two with me right now; Kit and Addy). I also like to have one in my arms when im relaxing and reading.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    We mostly just change their outfits, but DD will "play" with them, but mostly when she is by herself.

    We are getting a little overwhelmed with the AG items. I think I might have gotten carried away with ebay, as this is our first year collecting! [img]redface.gif[/img]

    But, I don't want to get rid of anything, especially retired items, but I think I might try to pack outfits and accessories in suitcases so her collection/ room will be more managable for a almost 7 year old, but still reasonably accessible when we want to get them out.

    Any suggestions for how many outfits we should leave out? I'm thinking just 1 outfit for each doll. We have accumulated all of the historicals, Lindsey, Kailey, one AGT, plus bitty baby and the bitty twins and Marisol will be coming in the next few months! We both love them all, but I feel like our collection has grown too fast and I don't know how to manage it!
    Help! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Chauster-

    I just visited your website! What a treat! It's more fun than the AG site and you've done a great job photographing all the dolls. How do you store all of your outfits? Do you keep them in the original boxes, in drawers, on hangers, etc.

    I love to see how others organize their collections!

  6. #6
    chrstnwmn7
    Guest chrstnwmn7's Avatar

    Post

    I am a displayer...and part time player. I love to change their clothes! I need to concentrate on clothing. But there are so many dolls I want to have!!! [img]wink.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member lynet44's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 3rd, 2004
    Posts
    187
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I actually just started talking to my dolls. At first it felt odd but now I am getting a little more used to it. It feels kind of good to talk to them once in a while. It's like thinking out loud.

    This just shows you the extent of my isolation now that I am a stay at home mom [img]wink.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member TaffyCheerful's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2002
    Posts
    544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I, too, change their clothing, brush their hair and talk to them. No, they don't talk back, but they are absolutely great listeners...

    There are four of them standing here at the computer watching me type. There is something very relaxing about just looking at their faces...

    Taffy

  9. #9
    swazini
    Guest swazini's Avatar

    Post

    Lynet and Chau, I know how you feel. I've been there done that and you wouldn't believe the anxiety it has caused me. These are just some ideas to help you really treasure what you have and try not to get over it and "move on" to the next thing (I know it is hard though):

    1. Store some dolls or outfits and accessories away for a while...just so you can't see them. In a month or two, take them out and you may have that happy "new" doll or item feeling all over.

    2. Sometimes if it is a historical doll I find that immersing myself in the time period and story helps. Reread the story, research online, watch a period movie...with your doll!

    3. If you feel like you have too many clothes then take a break from buying anything new.

    I've done all of these things and it helped to settle me down a little. As an adult, it's kind of hard to play with the dolls like you might as a child. The imagination seems to fade with age sometimes. But then the acts of you changing their clothes, styling their hair and displaying them is a form of play anyway.

  10. #10
    swazini
    Guest swazini's Avatar

    Post

    I actually just started talking to my dolls. At first it felt odd but now I am getting a little more used to it. It feels kind of good to talk to them once in a while. It's like thinking out loud.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL. I'm getting to this point. I admit I'm wacko...I talk to my dog and I make her talk. My husband will be sitting there and I will pretend that Sandy said something obnoxious and I'll say, "Sandy DON'T say that!" (My Grandmaman was always saying that to me, I was an imp [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) Anyway, my husband and I have a running joke with Josefina. She's definately my favorite doll but his favorite now too. I say the same thing to Josefina...she'll say something obnoxious...sometimes in English sometimes in Spanish and I have to say, "Josefina, DON'T say that!!!" My husband loves it. He also makes sound effects for the pitter-patter of her vinyl feet running in the house. We'll be lying and bed and all of a sudden you hear the sound of something landing of the floor then pitter patter down the hall...a little bit later someone fumbles through a drawer (NOT being very quiet) and then you hear that pitter patter back to the bedroom again. I have no idea what Josefina is up to at night but my husband thoroughly enjoys enticing my imagination!

    Now you all know just how very weird I am! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •